Tuesday 5 January 2010

God's gift to man - the dog, man's friend

A Canadian boy has been rescued from a charging cougar by his golden retriever, and says his pet dog saved his life.

11-year-old Austin Forman, who lives near Vancouver, was gathering firewood in his backyard when his dog, Angel, started acting strangely. Angel started following him, to and from the woodshed, Austin said, almost as though she was checking to make sure he was OK. Suddenly, Angel ran toward Austin and jumped over a lawn mower right into the path of a charging cougar. The boy ran inside, and his mother called 911 while the dog fought the cougar. "I knew at that moment that I would have to go get help, otherwise [Angel] wouldn't have any hope," Austin said. When the police arrived, the cougar was shot, as it chewed on Angel's neck. Austin said, "I was shocked and scared at the same time. I wasn't expecting a cougar at all to be in our yard," he said. "I feel very, very lucky. If it wasn't for my dog, I don't think I would be here. "She was my best friend, but now she's more than a best friend she's like my guardian now." Angel suffered some puncture wounds on her head, neck and one of her hind legs. Austin was not hurt.
    It is said that the dog is man's best friend. But remember, the dog is God's gift.